Wednesday, April 13, 2011

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Tax time came again this year. What else is new? My rant of the day has to do with the Alternative Minimum Tax.  Although I fall squarely in the middle class, I have to pay a lot of extra taxes under the "rich guy" tax rule. Do you know why? because Congress did not see fit to adjust the AMT for inflation.  So as inflation happens, more and more of the middle class gets hit with rich guy taxes. I had to file 19 different forms between the Feds and the State of Connecticut.

When I lived in Vermont, things were simple. 
  1. How much did you send the Feds?
  2. Send us 17% of that.
Why does it take a rocket scientist ... or more accurately ... a Certified Public Accountant to figure out your taxes? Simple.  I drive a Jeep.  My CPA drives a Beemer. And he is worth every penny. One year I got a bill for underpaying my taxes by $35,000 plus interest and penalties two years after the original return was filed.. I freaked out.  He went over the paperwork and showed them where he thought their keypuncher entered $1,000,000 instead of 100,000. Six months later I got a letter saying in essence nevermind.

Shhesh.

No comments: